Thursday 4 October 2012

Sarnies for breakfast

The morning started well with c200 House Martin avoiding a Sparrowhawk over BSL 08:00, 1 bird sitting on the wires watching it all whilst warming in the sun. 30-40 Meadow Pipit went thru South in groups of 3-4, then the Swallows started coming thru, 5-10 every 3-5 minutes. Coal Tit flew over calling as I walked down the car park field.
As I scanned the sky and landfill at 08:40 I picked up 4 terns moving quickly South above the Loddon, switching to scope I could see large black bills and white forecrowns and confirmed they were my first Sandwich Terns since 1992. I stayed on them as far as I could see, they didn't stop at DP, they just kept going at least til they went out of view roughly in line with WSL.
Very happy I debated whether to quit for breakfast of go to Bittern Hide, I chose the latter and immediately picked up a Common Sandpiper and had to check it wasn't a Spotted as there have only been 5 other October records of Common.
A scan of the main island reeds revealed the first ever October Reed Warbler....all in all not bad morning!





No comments:

Post a Comment