Friday 11 January 2013

Siberian Chiffchaff?

After seeing posts from PBT asking the question if LGL's photo of the Sandford Chiffchaff was Siberian, I went to have a look late morning and found the candidate immediately. It was obviously dull grey olive above, very pale below, quite bright olive along the flight feathers and tail, black legs, short bill, fairly marked supercillium, but no brown hues to ear coverts. All in all, to my inexperienced eyes, a pretty probable Siberian.
This became even more likely when the after said bird flew off towards Lavell's, a normal Chiffchaff appeared in the same spot.
The Portuguese chap 'Lewis' took several shot of both and I am eagerly awaiting his photos, so I can share them to whomever takes an interest.
I stood chatting to AJ in the layby and a Grey Wagtail went over, so also added a year tick in the process, so that was nice.
Later a dusk visit to Lavell's produced no birds of note and again I left before the Barn Owl jumped out of the box, as mentioned by Jake Bishop on BB tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment