Wednesday 13 March 2013

Off park again yesterday, back today

Yesterday shortly before 10am, Geoff called me from Henley Road GP's saying he was pretty sure he had a Great White Egret, I got ready and was there in about 15-20 mins, soon enjoying a brilliant full summer bird, plumes, green loral area, pink and grey legs and bill, not that my pic does it justice.

It sat sunning itself as I called Ian Lewington to confirm it for the Oxford boys, then Hugh but as we spoke it flew up over the heronry, circled twice then slowly into the NNE wind away to the right, up the lake it went, only gaining height slightly to go over the pylons, but lost behind the row of Oaks.

Sadly we could not relocate it at any of the Sonning Pits, but I guess it could still be around?

This was the 6th for Oxon.









I returned to DP today for 08:00 an as I got out the car could hear Coal Tit, I walked into Lavell's and heard 2 calling as I looked toward Sandford Mill. 2 Chased each other, a 3rd then 4th followed them, making this the hightest ever Coal Tit count at DP. All moved along the Sandford Lane hedgerow slowly but noisily.

At LFGP the sun was in my eyes, so I only stopped long enough to recount the Wigeon, 175+ still, 1 Shelduck, 15-20 Teal, 1 Common Gull, 1 Snipe. On to Bittern Hide, 4 more Snipe and 73 Pochard, topping up the feeders I left Richard and Tony to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment