Friday 12 April 2013

Early Common Terns

I eventually got out at 13:00, a quick look at Sandford, the pair of Oystercatcher still prospecting for a nest site, heading straight on to LFGP, just 14 Wigeon, but interestingly another pair of Oystercatcher, which mated shortly after I arrived.
Shortly after I picked up at least 5 displaying Buzzard high up, no waders at all, a good scan of the landfill, but no Wheatear, pipits, or wagtails.
A moulting Common Tern arrived and landed in front of the hide and with heavy rain looming I headed off, but left my phone behind, just as well as I didn't leave soon enough and ran back to the hide in heavy rain.
By then 2 Common Tern were now resting on the shingle island, 4 Swallow followed the rain, but best of all 2 Linnet went over low towards Sandford Farm, only the second record this year.
Looking back at previous records, the Common Terns this year are the fourth earliest ever arrivals and given the cold weather and wind direction we've been having for the past few weeks, I find that remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment