Monday 26 August 2013

Whinchat week

I said to my wife last night, the week ahead is what I refer to as 'Whinchat week' as so many of the past records occur from now to 7th, 8th, 9th September.....and later too, but the peak is usually 29th Aug to 5th Sept.

And sure enough, after I left LFGP, Marek called saying one had come into view on the docs in the far NE corner. I was about ready to take my family shopping in Reading, but my wife said "be quick". I was, staying long enough to get one classic record shot where it sat in the 5 O'Clock position from the fluffy thistle head.






















A day earlier than the 2011 bird, this was species 132 for the year, 99 for the month and my 128th, so one more to go for me to equal my fourth highest score of 129, achieved in 2009.

It has been a good month, so far 5 year ticks for the park and still time for a wader or two more, maybe a Black Tern?

No comments:

Post a Comment