Saturday 12 October 2013

Milestone reached on my year list

I couldn't get out this morning until after 11:20, but when I did I spent an hour only in the car park field, so wasn't expecting too much to happen.

Ring-necked Parakeets were calling as usual, 2 or more Chiffchaff, 1-2 Meadow Pipit, 1-2 Skylark, a flock of around 25 Redwing going East.

As approached the stile, I could hear a Water Rail at the balancing pool, but didn't get onto it before it stopped 'picking'. As it was bright I headed to the usual landfill watch point as I could see Buzzard and Kite up.

4 different Buzzard including another quite pale bird were visible, then I got onto a Peregrine over Lea Farm itself and as it was circling slowly and consistently I made an attempt to catch a photo on my iphone, heavily cropped of course, the first is complete rubbish, but the second actually looks like a Peregrine.

















Raptor presence soon died off, so I retreated back to my car and sat leaning in my boot as I often do to stop my back aching. I could see small groups of 4-8 Chaffinch heading WNW and about 25 in 15 minutes, then a flock of 'finch sp' South, could have been Linnet, but I didn't get enough on them. "5 more minutes" I said 3 times picking up 1-2 more distant Buzzard, then suddenly right overhead a Rock Pipit call and I looked up to see it flying SE, as it called again it, fluttered and then continued on SE....."glad I stayed another 5 mins" I said to myself.

This marks 130 on my year list, knocking my 129 in 2009 off my 4th highest total. And it was my first Rock Pipit since seeing and hearing 2 over off the tip 16th 2002, although I did have a probable over 15th 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment