Thursday 17 October 2013

Yellow-browed Warbler at last

I continued my search for YBW at 09:30 entering DP at Colemansmoor Road over the most Southerly wooden bridge near the park and ride, then walking slowly along parallel with the A329(M) to Tufties Corner and up to the fishermans car park, then back along the South edge of WSL.

The one tit flock I did find had a lone Chiffchaff and as time was pushing on, I marched up the the other large wooden bridge where it crosses to Mortimer's Meadow and before I fully crossed the familiar call of Yellow-browed Warbler hit my ears, coming from the Alder right by the bridge, but hidden in Ivy.

For a second I wondered if someone was playing a tape as it was really loud, I called Trevor, who was readying for his trip to Norfolk, then Richard, but no reply. So decided seeing the bird might be a good idea before I called anyone else.

It began calling again, then Richard appeared from Mortimer's direction and at the moment it left the Alder and flew high up into a bare Alder where Richard and I had a pretty good view of it, it's supercillium, wing bars and pale underparts all nicely visible. Then it moved back one tree flitted a bit, then back to the Ivy covered Alder and that it where it stayed until I left at 11:49.

I heard it moved to nearby Willows 12:05, so others got some views too.

All I can say is "194 for my park list, 131 for the year, excellent!"

No comments:

Post a Comment