Friday 29 November 2013

Another one gets away

I was hanging around Teal Hide, 2 Little Grebe there and a tit flock came by with 3 or more crests and then took a walk to the river.

At around 14:45/15:00, I was slow to lift my bins to a bird flying towards myself and Richard Price, it was moving fast in an upstream direction along the Loddon, we were by the ditch. I didn't even clock it was a falcon until the last second, when it became apparent it was chasing a small bird, probably a Siskin, or something, it suddenly turned, revealing sharp wings took it's prey in a single 'cork screw' type turn and slightly fanned it's tail as it made a wide arc, mostly obscured behind the Poplars and I just couldn't quite see the length of it's tail, but it seemed to short for Kestrel, but perhaps too long for Merlin, but my hunch it was the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment