Saturday 25 January 2014

Good duck

After missing a Coal Tit by 5 minutes this late bright morning, I had a brief look for the Chiffchaff without success, but did see 3 Sparrowhawk, a male displaying to a female and an immature male in the trees below, probably watching 'how it's done' and then I went home again, only to get a call from Marek just after lunch, with a male Pintail on Sandford. And off I dashed. Also present were a very good count of 210+ Gadwall and 42+ Pochard.

I like it when my predictions become reality, this is the first January Pintail since the 14th 2008, although 2007 and 2006 also mid month birds. February, March and October are probably the most frequent months to get them.

They are such fine ducks and always worth going to see on the patch!





No comments:

Post a Comment