Sunday 13 April 2014

Rather good birdwalk

Before I arrived Richard texted to say Green Sandpiper SW corner LFGP and with just a few minutes spare before the bird walk, I debated trying, but I went for it and as I crossed the green bridge that familiar call rang out as the Green Sandpiper flew over my head SW....saving me the 150 yards each way trip to Ron's hide.

On to the bird walk and Richard called saying "you're not going to believe this but we've got Red Crested Pochard with 3 young at LFGP". Amazing I said and pledged to head there later, but as usual, we went to BSL first, where the only birds to mention were the pair of Red Crested Pochard at the waters edge of the far end of the large island...so two pairs have been hanging around all this time!?

I thought it would be worth a try and my instincts were right, 2 for Nightingales were singing on arrival at the BSL/WSL hedgerow. One was in view no doubt enjoying the warm morning sun, but sadly it was brief and didn't show after, despite our trying pretty hard to see them for an hour. During our efforts the second was singing quite near the base of the viewpoint, so we headed there and despite failing to see it, heard it very close by, then we heard Cetti's and then as we went to leave I picked up Lesser Whitethroat singing, then a second. This is one day earlier than ever recorded, the 2nd earliest was 14th 2007 and then next, 16th 2011, but the species does not usually show up until between the 23rd to 25th.

Time pressed on and a quick look at Sandford produced the pair of Red Crested Pochard from BSL, plus a lone male Shoveler, after that I had to leave, but very happy with 3 year ticks and one of those an earliest ever arrival.

I am on 99 for the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment