Thursday 3 July 2014

A July Bittern?

I got a call from the DP fishing warden (Simon), saying a fisherman he knew well said he saw a Bittern at WSL on Tuesday at midday.

I went there last night, met him (Neil) and spent the evening until dark, waiting and chatting about Bitterns and various other bird and fish related topics. From our discussions and the fact it was only 30-40 feet from him, I am convinced he saw one, sadly it didn't show.

Around 21:00 we heard a Sparrowhawk calling from somewhere towards the Loddon and somewhat later we saw Tawny Owl (my first this year) flying over around 22:30 and I heard a lot of calls from Middile Marsh as I left at 23:10.

It is well worth all of us keeping an eye out at our reed beds, as there is a good chance the Bittern is around somewhere. The only other July Bittern record was the one I identified on 29th July 1983, I say identified as a local couple (Jim & Cath Harrison) also said they had seen a brown heron like bird in the previous day or so.

Apart from the long staying Bittern of 2003, there have only been 2 August birds, so a July one is incredibly rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment