Thursday 17 July 2014

Escaped Ringed Teal

In an attempt to see the odd ducks of a couple of days ago, I went to Lea Farm GP around 09:30, I did see the thin necked Mallard and now assume it to be the bird we thought was Pintail the other day.

But I am not completely convinced as on the day, I could not see face markings that appeared to show in the photos I took and today's bird was fairly classic Mallard features, but a with a neck on the thin side.

Anyway, not a whole lot going on, 6 Gadwall, 2 Oycs over North, then 2 distant Raven high up, drifting East, one heavily moulting. Then a group of 25 House Martins fed over the water nearby.

About to leave and I heard the wing beats of a duck, similar to Goldeneye and noticed a small duck alighting the nearby small raft to the front left. I got the scope focused and thought "hmmmm...no idea what that is"

I've looked again at the rather dated Helm 'Wildfowl' and can now see it is a female Ringed Teal

Here are some pics












Popping back later, the Ringed Teal was asleep on the left hand small raft and looked tiny next to Mallard, in the SW corner 2 Green Sandpiper fed quietly.


No comments:

Post a Comment