Wednesday 27 August 2014

Exciting morning

Marek was out early and no doubt glad he was, getting a female, or immature Marsh Harrier over LFGP 06:53, he also added Pochard for the month.

By the time I got out at 10:00 I was just hoping for anything, lots of House Martin and Swallow over the landfill, but no chats, Wheatears, or wagtails. Then I heard a Curlew call once, as I was standing at the back of the ditch I had to quickly jump forward and look left, where the call had come from.

I got my bins on a large bird moving away and had to re-position my scope very quickly to get onto the bird now flying away West, for a moment it looked like it might head towards LFGP, but it went behind an Oak and I never saw it again.

I was told a Water Rail was seen under the feeders this morning, so August is now on 95, just 4 short of the month record total. With Yellow Wagtail, Redstart, Whinchat, Whimbrel, Greenshank and Coal Tit all likely, we could still smash the record by 2, or more if a few more waders come thru.

No comments:

Post a Comment