Thursday 28 August 2014

Wet start

That was the only start I got this morning and my expectations were fairly high for something good going thru and at LFGP, all I had was 3 Common and 3 Green Sandpiper, which isn't a bad count this late into August, but over recent years we have often had Common pass thru , or linger until October, or even November. Apart from Lapwing, no other waders seen.

80 Gadwall shows another big increase, still 11 Shoveler, 11 Teal, 4 Wigeon and 2 Little Grebe. The 2 Common Tern chicks can fly now, so will be leaving any day soon, maybe they'll stick around for a week or so, to get theirs wings strong and ready for migration

Heavy passage of hirundines and a Nuthatch near Teal hide was it.

With the weather breaking shortly before 09:00 I decided I'd give it 30 mins in the car park, hoping for the usual, what I did get was 2 Swift heading SE over the landfill, so getting late'ish for them. There are at least 9 September records for Swift, the latest being 21st 1992...observer unknown.

I have seen 6 September Swifts, my latest being the 14th, but we have had none since my last on the 10th in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment