Tuesday 27 January 2015

January so far

On Sunday I was on the monthly work party, I added one for the month when I heard a Meadow Pipit flying over the golf course, but later Marek sent a picture of a gull on LFGP, which was a first winter Yellow-legged Gull, the first since 12th August 2013. It was too brief to even get a stab at, so I can only hope another shows up during one of my brief visits.

As January's go, it isn't too bad, 84 so far, passing 2005, 2006 & 2013's total of 83, but we require 2 more to equal 2012 and take equal third highest January counts, 88 being the highest.

Peregrine is being seen regularly and is probably visiting more than once per day.

We can keep our fingers crossed to add more this month, all of the following seen in previous 6 years January's;

Shelduck, Pintail, Smew, Merlin, Curlew, Dunlin, Jack Snipe, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Blackcap, Brambling, Linnet, Siskin, & Lesser Redpoll.

I missed off Kittiwake, Common Sandpiper, Waxwing, Bearded Tit & Firecrest, as they are somewhat less likely than the others....but never say never!

No comments:

Post a Comment