Wednesday 25 February 2015

Ravens again

A rather brief visit to the car park field, was rewarded immediately on arrival with a pair of Raven flying low over Lea Farm, heading SE, rising to do a bit of tumbling too. This fairs well as we didn't have any Jan & Feb records last, year, but scored in all months thereafter.

Red Kite were up in force, scoping over Sandford development to beyond Twyford, I counted a minimum of 46 birds, but expect I missed a fair few more and didn't cross the road to look South or over South Woodley, it would suggest we have at least 60+ birds in a 3 mile square...wow!

Being so bright today, a fair amount of singing was heard by resident species, all very nice.

I should say, yesterday I had 2 gulls other than Black Headed, 1 was Herring, I suspect the other was a Yellow-legged moulting it's inner primaries, making it impossible to see the extent of pale in that area. Otherwise it  looked structurally right on the head, pale overall, smudge around the eye, somewhat Med like, as they say. The bill wasn't huge, but still large and all black, a hint of pale at the tip. Legs were pretty pale, almost straw coloured, tow toned scaps and all dark tertials, but it was only there for a long and before I could gets some shots.

I have been reading for the hundredth time and checking out many YLG pics, I can't be a 100%, but this was my best candidate so far this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment