Saturday 25 April 2015

All change

I looked out of my window and saw the rain and thought "hmmm, might be some tern or wader passage".

I had a quick cuppa and dashed out to BSL, but found nothing, so I waited and waited with nothing happening but an ever damp hat and coat, I wondered off to the car park field. As often happens I am not sure what made me look back, but with the naked eye I noticed a large group of birds, lifting my bins I could see they were terns.

Quickly up with the scope and I could instantly see long streamers of Arctic Terns...now how many I thought. Back to bins and two stab at counting in 5's, both were 65+, they were moving in tight circles and drifting quickly East with the wind, phoning Brian who was at LFGP, it was already too late, they continues on East.

This is by far the largest flock thru DP, nearly double the May 5th 2005 flock, that also didn't stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment