Wednesday 15 April 2015

Still cold and misty starts

As with yesterday I was out early, getting to LFGP by 06:00, hearing the Cuckoo as I passed Teal Scrape. The mist wasn't too bad, but I couldn't see the landfill, meaning I had no waders....well nothing of real interest in fact.

I quit early and headed for BSL, finding 4 Common Tern in the quickly receding mist, a loop to Bittern hide, 2 Sedge Warbler singing, 1 at the back of the scrape, the other from the main island. A pair of Oystercatcher appeared to be checking out the old Tern island. 1 pair of Teal was all else.

Off round the car park field and at the bottom I checked all the vents, then panned left and found a small passerine on one of the piles of stacked branches, it moved left, but I got onto it with the scope and it was the first Whitethroat of this year, a male sunning himself. My 103rd species this year.

Looking back on previous arrival dates, Whitethroat is one of the most consistent, since records began it has arrived on ;

14th 5 times
15th 3 times
16th 5 times

It has arrived earlier of course, 9th 2011, 10th 2009 & 2010, the 7th being earliest 1991, latest being 27th 1980 & 1998.

No bird shots today, just sunrise




No comments:

Post a Comment