Monday 6 April 2015

That's more like it

I got out fairly early this morning at 06:40, scraping ice off my car it was certainly chilly.

Heading straight down to LFGP, I was hopeful yesterday's LRP was still about, but despite some mist I could soon see it wasn't.

A Green Sandpiper dropped in front of the hide, so I took a shot or three and got this quite nice one



I kept on scanning for waders, just Snipe and Lapwing, no sign of any Wheatear, 1 Meadow Pipit went thru and I thought it seemed more quiet than I expected. 1 Common Gull went East over Lavell's and was now thinking it is too cold to sit around in the hide.

Just then at 07:17 a group of large waders came in with legs dangling, binning them I could see straight away it was 6 Black Tailed Godwit, they dropped onto the island, but got spooked and went towards the SW corner, then opting for the North spit instead. 3 were summer plumage and looked like Islandica, so I'll assume they all were.

This is only the second ever April record and the largest spring flock, the first shot is of them moving from the shingle island





Brian arrived at 07:38 but as soon as he opened the viewing flap, they suddenly left North.

No comments:

Post a Comment