Thursday 28 May 2015

Ever hopeful

My lunchtime visit was spent at Ron's hide today, 3 or more pairs of Common Tern using the newly launched raft, was encouraging. The pair of Shelduck were asleep in the SW corner.

Lots of raptors up, including a brown Peregrine circling and diving over the middle of the landfill and beyond Lodge Wood for 10 minutes around 12:45, a lone Hobby was over the car park field.

About to leave and I realized a Lapwing was sat on the gravel in front of the hide and even when a family of Greylag walked very close by, it didn't move. It finally stood up...no eggs, but maybe it's thinking about it and if it did breed, that would be the first since 1997!



I always remain optimistic and even though that counts for nothing, I do feel something good to happen soon, by good I mean rare of course.

The park is on 91 for May, 1 off becoming equal third highest May, which seems bizarre as it hasn't exactly been crazy with uncommon birds this year. If anyone has seen Little Grebe, Barn Owl, Little Owl, or Willow Warbler, let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment