Wednesday 27 May 2015

Migration over?

It has been several days since anything new passed by, so migration looks like it is over, shame we never got anything more interesting than a Ringed Plover, but at least I got that this year, missing last year's only individual as I was in the Philippines with the family this time last year.

Not to get too far off patch birding, but on my last trip there I went on my first mountain trip to about 1500m and experienced a habitat quite similar to our heaths, with mixed conifers and lush low vegetation. Some of the best birds were Luzon Bush Warbler (Cettia Seebohmi), a relative if you like of our Cetti's, Citrine Canary Flycatcher, Blue Headed Fantail, Elegant Tit which is very like our Coal Tit, Chestnut Faced Babbler, Mountain White-Eye and good views of Pygmy Woodpecker, which is somewhat like our Lesser Spotted.

I keep joking that I do more birding in the Philippines than I do outside Berkshire these days and being the far East, there isn't much I see that I am likely to see in the UK.

One thing that does show up in the UK from time to time is Siberian Rubythroat, which winters in various places I have visited, but I have yet to find one so far.

So back to reality, yesterday I did an hour in the car park at lunchtime and saw 2 Hobby over the landfill, I always remain hopeful of a Red-footed Falcon, but the winds are going to have to spin around from the East to really stand any chance of seeing one anywhere in Berks, but it would be extra special to add it to my patch and see my fourth in the County.

No comments:

Post a Comment