Wednesday 17 June 2015

On this day....raising enthusiasm

I haven't been highly motivated to patch for the last few days, but I knew there was a big anniversary coming up, that I've mentioned recently.

9 Little Tern 18th June 1983, seen over WSL, heading ENE towards Sandford (FJC), mobbed by Common Tern, they turned headed off East 07:00 (FJC & Mike Russell).

With a lot less foliage back in 83' it was easier to keep them just in view the whole time, I actually only clinched what they were when I got them in the scope over the Sandford corner nearest to the sailing club, it was then I saw Mike Russell stood on the beach looking up at them.

Without mobiles, we were reduced to arm waving and pointing up frantically until I met him at the beach. I think utterly blown away was our feeling, but I have a sneaky feeling I wouldn't have been believed had I been the only observer.

Exactly one month later on the 18th July, I was checking Sandford at 07:20, when I got onto a single Little Tern, it lingered just 10 minutes and I didn't see it leave.

So back to now and like 2014, I am stuck on 116 and have been since May, I aim to do a few more early mornings again very soon and from now to the end of July my focus will be to try and find, or pickup from others the following;

Garganey, Greenshank, Wood Sandpiper, Yellow-legged Gull & Black Tern

I'll be keeping my ears out for chance Curlew, fly over Whimbrel, or an unblocker, ideally a Little Stint happily feeding in the SW corner, preferably with a Curlew Sandpiper, but not mandatory.


No comments:

Post a Comment