Tuesday 25 August 2015

Autumn Redstart again

As soon as I was beyond the central scrub compound I could hear a Redstart and picked up what I first felt was an autumn adult male in the usual area along the barbed wire.

A few others arrived and it showed well on and off, but as I was about to leave someone said "there's two". Talk of a grey backed and better marked adult, ear covert markings, etc followed, but as often happens 2 were not seen at the same time. I remain uncertain if there was 2, or it was just light playing tricks on our eyes...we'll see.

This is the 4th August record, compared to 6 September ones since 2009.

Here are my rubbish record shots





As I was about to leave a Mistle Thrush dropped in, marking species 99 for August = highest along with 2013. If we can find a Water Rail and a Lesser Whitethroat we have a new high count for the month. Bonus waders and wildfowl would be brilliant too.

Ron also told me the Little Egret count has now reached 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment