Friday 14 August 2015

Drizzle & Easterly wind

Nothing had appeared before I left LFGP at 10:30 this morning, Marek had the autumn's first Wigeon on Sandford earlier, but I couldn't find them.

So I went home, only for Alan to call me saying Ringed Plover now in the SW corner, but not needing it, thought maybe later.

Then he called again saying "Black Tern?!" Okay I thought I'd better check it out and dashed down.

It was still flying around on arrival, except it was a juvenile Arctic Tern, not Black, still nice though and had even landed in front of the hide before I arrived. Alan shared these shots with me;




Then it flew into the SW corner and off South.

Meanwhile the Ringed Plover was still there and 3 more Green Sandpiper were joining the other 2 already there. Scanning around I noticed a wader on the North spit, having had a Green there earlier, I checked again and found it to be the autumn's first Snipe, so very nice.

4 Little Egret were highly active and overall my re-visit was well worth the effort and putting the park on 91 for August, means just 2 more to go to equal 3rd place for all Augusts.



Somewhat later I was about to look online for some ideas for a noodle dish and I refreshed Berksbirds, to find 3 Black Tern had been seen at LFGP around 15:35, exactly when I was at Sandford having a meeting with DPCS and the EA.

It was now 17:05 and Marek sent a text saying 1 Black Tern still present, so off I headed to LFGP for the third time. It was showing on arrival and stayed til 18:26 per my good friend Trevor, by which time another Ringed Plover had joined the first.

Marek took some shots of the Black Tern, it even landed giving an excellent comparison of the Arctic juv earlier http://www.berksbirds.co.uk/show_photo.asp?photo_id=9806

So quite a day for terns and reflected elsewhere in the County with more Black Terns and Little and Sandwich seen at Theale too.

No comments:

Post a Comment