Sunday 6 September 2015

Weekend contrasts

Saturday morning was cold and quite miserable, so Sunday's lovely bright start was a lovely contrast, I arrived around 07:30 and within 15 minutes heard, then saw a Yellow Wagtail heading South.

I stood in the car park for at least 45 minutes, seeing 2 Whitethroat, 10+ Blackcap, 1-2 Chiffchaff, but not much else. At BSL there was nothing, a loud Nuthatch with a tit flock was it.

Down to Bittern hide, I was determined to find some warblers and in moments saw 2 Sedge, 4-5 Reed in the main island reeds, hearing Cetti's too. Then a Water Rail called from the main island, another behind. Little Grebe fed on the edge of the mostly submerged bund, reminding me to try and get someone to help me prop open the sluice gate so the water levels starts dropping.

On my way out I saw the Cetti's and a few Swallows were now passing over.

It certainly felt like a lot more could be found and sure enough 2 Spotted Flycatcher were seen on the big Hawthorn later and with Brian getting Coal Tit later on, the month is on 86.

No comments:

Post a Comment