Tuesday 29 December 2015

Another dusk, but a different result

After Brian texted me to report the Bittern at Teal scrape 11:20, I got there 20 minutes later and it had not showed again.

I went back at 15:30 and met Alan, a Little Egret was on the bund, 2 Cetti's called, 3, possibly 4 Water Rail too. Small groups of Redwing, the odd Reed Bunting all came in, 1-2 Fieldfare.

The egret left 16:11 and another flew over South 16:21, then as we were about to give up, out came the Bittern from the near left and flew to the back of the scrape, dropped and was gone! An amazing 6-8 second view awesome.

But I'm happy just to have seen it in December, it looked like a fairly rich rufous coloured bird, plus I've never known of a Bittern roosting other than on the main island, so it's a first for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment