Thursday 17 December 2015

December's interesting ducks

This autumn has already been rather interesting from a duck perspective, but when I arrived yesterday late afternoon it went one notch even better, with a nice female Red Crested Pochard preening in the dying light.


It's nothing to get too excited about, but with our Ferruginous Duck on it's 17th day today and the female Pintail now present for 34 days, it's kind of pleasant to have a good wedge of the County's best birds all within walking distance.

My stay yesterday was also for another attempt to find Bittern and Woodcock and Barn Owl, but I saw none of them. My second trip to WSL in a week also failed to produce Bittern there, so as much as I don't want to accept it, it could be that we just don't have a staying one so far.

WSL did provide the little Starling roost of around 700+ birds, which even on a small scale they still managed to show off some nice murmuration shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment