Sunday 3 January 2016

Rain, rain, rain

Good grief, back to 2014, with rising water levels and struggling to get anywhere around the park, although the levels were lower this morning than those of last night.

I was going to go across the golf course, but the 5-6 dogs charging everywhere quickly dissuaded me there would be any point. So off to the car park field I went, meeting Brian at BSL on the way, then Trevor in the car park itself.

A good scan over the landfill, 3 Ring-necked Parakeet, 2 Egyptian Geese, lots of Lapwing, 2 Buzzard, but no new ones for me until I picked up something heading in from the North with a powerful wing beat. I watched for a few more seconds thinking wader, or raptor? then as it came over Lodge Wood it veered right to the East and immediately became obvious "Peregrine" I shouted, quickly getting the other chaps onto it. 09:05 in view 09:06 and it was gone, I suspect a male.

Then Trev and I headed for Bittern hide, wading thru just about passable water depths, no sign of Little Grebe, but they were seen yesterday, then I heard Treecreeper and we both then enjoyed good views on nearby trees, along with 2 Nuthatch. Time to go and I went away happy on 70, of the 78 now recorded on the park so far.

Later I came back to check for Golden Plover to the far North, but had to wade up Sandford Lane due to the rivers coming up further. Not long into my watch I picked up about 40 Golden Plover in front of Bowsey Hill fast East, but they were miles away. 71 out of 78.

A good flock of around 1000 Starling were circling and making nice shapes as I waded back to the car, sadly I had to leave before a Little Egret was likely to head North.

No comments:

Post a Comment