Wednesday 30 March 2016

99 and hoping for some luck

Yesterday I had a good look for Blackcap without success, okay I got Raven again twice and another Swallow, but it made me grit my teeth when Trev had 3 Blackcap after I'd left, okay none were singing, but it kept me off 99.

Today Brian sent out a WhatsApp IM of Willow Warbler in 2 places, so when I headed over and met Trev at the bottom of the car park field, getting one there, but then seeing 1 more and hearing another, then on to around the benches and found another.

It was sunny, not too windy and Blackcap should have been singing, but they weren't and I am still one short of that 100 milestone.

But it's not over yet in terms of matching 2012's record, I just need 2 now. Blackcap is here somewhere, but I guess now I realise I should have made more effort to get Tawny Owl, as it is the only species I know is around for certain and with flooding making a lot of places out of reach, it won't be easy, although all day today and tonight might mean a big enough drop in water level to get down to Lea Farm for a stab at LRP, or anything really.

March species total keeps growing, 98 now and 3 more than the previous high of 2011, 5 more than 2006 & 2012. And they year is up there too, a new second place of 104, pipping 2011's 103 and just 2 behind the No.1 slot of 106 in 2012.

A mid afternoon tarmac path walk and car park sky watch still didn't get me Blackcap, but I lost count of Red Kite, 2 Kestrel, 2 Sparrowhawk, 3+2 unidentifieds North, probably pipits, 1 Mistle Thrush, 5 Siskin NW, 2 Bullfinch, 2 Swallow N, 2 Sand Martin N, +1 toward BSL.

No comments:

Post a Comment