Saturday 9 April 2016

High hopes

I managed to get out not long after 07:00 and went straight to Sandford to check for LRP, but no luck, so doubled back towards LFGP, hearing my first Willow Warbler of the day towards Sandford Mill, the count on Lavell's and to Ron's hide was 6 in the end.

Many Blackcap and Chiffchaff were in song, Lea Farm G.P. was a disappointment though, 1 Snipe, 6 Teal, 2 Oycs flew in, 1 Swallow South, 1 Skylark, really was about it.

So onwards to Lavell's, but I skipped Bittern after someone said nothing was happening, perhaps I should have gone, after later hearing a Reed Warbler was heard there yesterday.

At the car park field and overlooking the landfill, I saw nothing, but may have missed a Wheatear, as I panned with my scope across the vents, I saw something perched, but as I was panning a little to fast, had to pan back and whatever it was, was now gone. Shortly after 3-4 Swallow went thru and then I looped back to BSL and saw nothing there either and then completed the loop back to Lavell's, also seeing nothing.

I was getting bored and was in two minds about quitting, but felt a Nightingale might be waiting for me at the usual spot, so despite my foot aching quite a lot, I went on to check there. No Nightingale, but the Whitethroat was still there, lots more Chiffchaff and another Willow Warbler and looping back via WSL reeds, I checked for Reed and Sedge there, but nothing doing.

On my final walk back at Sandford, I heard the familiar rattling notes of Sedge Warbler, for all of 10 seconds and put that news out and headed back to my car.

The Sedge wasn't an early arrival, but yesterday's Reed was 2 days earlier than ever recorded, so well early. In a way I am surprised more didn't turn up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment