Saturday 23 April 2016

Winter wildfowl breeding potential

For many years I have watched the last Teal, Shoveler and even Wigeon linger and wonder if any of them could ever breed.

Wigeon I feel would never even contemplate it, but Teal and Shoveler, why not? I have never seen it happen, despite Teal being claimed as breeding in 1999, there was no mention in the county report, let alone photographic proof and rather telling, 2 long time local birders at the time knew nothing of it when I found the reports in the archives.

I am sure I've mentioned it before, but it is tragic that a really important breeding record like Teal cannot even be recorded properly and the same applies to Water Rail the same year. We can only speculate why that might be and even if they both did breed, nobody took the time to notify anyone to verify it and have it recorded in black and white for all time.

So, with 5 Shoveler flying about (3m, 2f) at LFGP today and the last pair of Teal, looking sort of quiet and happy, I remain hopeful that one day, one of these lovely ducks will breed and successfully fledge young.

This morning there was a very cold North wind and it was bitter, but at least a Cuckoo wasn't put off and a Lesser Whitethroat was calling at the bottom of the car park field.

No comments:

Post a Comment