Monday 25 July 2016

Getting up again

It was long overdue for me to get down pre 07:00 to Lea Farm GP, so alarm set for 06:10 I got there at 06:40 and I guess was not surprised to find little given that the day before was a work party.

I scanned many times and could not locate a single wader other than Lapwing, a lone Little Egret was the only other species worth mentioning.

Suddenly the Lapwings got spooked and for a moment I got all hopeful a Marsh Harrier might suddenly come into view, but alas not.

They spooked again and I scanned around, suddenly picking up a small wader, in evasive flight mode, rising off the NE corner, jerking side to side as it went up. I strained my ears hoping I'd hear Ringed Plover, but nothing. I kept thinking 'it's got to be LRP' but my subconscious kept saying "it's a bit too small and not long winged enough'. I guess it could have been Dunlin, but why didn't I hear a call? We'll never know....such sightings haunt me for days.

That was it.

Richard's Shoveler on Sandford seem overdue and we remain way behind other July's, I hope Eton flood's 8 Black-tailed Godwit are a sign of our share any day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment