Tuesday 30 August 2016

Speechless amazement

A quite morning featured just 2 Grey Wagtail, 3 Little Egret over BSL South, a lone Whitethroat, so I was not expecting what would happen in the afternoon, no one was.

Alan called me around 15:10 asking me how I felt about seeing a Nightjar along the Loddon, "what are you serious? now?" utterly blown away I quickly convinced Ethan I would reward him for coming out immediately.

Soon enough we were there watching it thru our scopes, the first Nightjar since Mike Russell reported 2 on the late evening of 11th August 1984. The only other record was one heard 3rd August 1981 (Dr Don Broome) very nearby tonight's bird.



I am very grateful to Roger Stansfield who shared some footage taken earlier in the afternoon showing it doing some brilliant 'shuffling' and wing stretches, I hope it comes out okay here.


The month equals 2013's 2nd place and takes a new 2nd place for the time of year on 134.

No comments:

Post a Comment