Friday 9 September 2016

3rd chat of my autumn

Usual morning route, just 35 minutes later and again felt quiet, LFGP : 1 Green and 1 Common Sandpiper, 13 Shoveler, Grey Wagtail heard.

BSL had 23 Shoveler, but a reasonable flock of around 250-300 mostly House Martin kept me scanning for a bit. In the car park field and overlooking the landfill, I found virtually nothing, no Wheatear, chats, or wagtails, just 2-3 Chiffchaff's in the Elders, 1-2 Blackcap calling.

Walking across the car park towards my car I could swear I heard a Tree Pipit call once, but saw nothing, back at the car I'd packed my scope away and was doing a last scan with bins, when a small bird on top of the big Hawthorn caught my eye. Hoping for Spotted Flycatcher I got my scope out and to save time I just set it up without legs extended and squatted down to look thru it quickly.

It was my third Whinchat of the autumn and at that point I realised my iPhone scope adapter was at home, so rushed off 4-5 poor shots without it. It moved off to the right along the back hedgerow, so speculate it might have been re-found near the balancing pool.



I love that big Hawthorn, it produces birds on a regular basis, but so does the car park field.

No comments:

Post a Comment