Thursday 22 September 2016

Still mild but ducks a plenty

A couple of visits on Wednesday, one around late morning got me a Hobby over the East side of the landfill and a Raven, my first since 25th March. A trickle of around 100 hirundines SE.

Later I went back and had Hobby again, but little else.

This morning I was back out early and around 25 Greylag were leaving LFGP on my arrival, then a Pintail went over toward DP 06:47. 3 minutes later 6 more Pintail came in from the North, landing and looking rather nervous at first, but settling down quickly. Then another 3 Pintail came in, but circled and went back around, before heading South toward DP.....10 Pintail a new park record.



A good smattering of Teal, Shoveler and Wigeon, and again 2's and 3's of Meadow Pipit were going over SE. Marek WhatsApp'd the Garganey back on BSL, so this morning was obviously a good day for wildfowl.

Reviewing the month, I suddenly realised we haven't seen Common Gull all late summer, or autumn so far and I have been looking. Species most likely to occur in September still are

Red Crested Pochard
Common Gull
Linnet

And it's not too late for an Osprey or Marsh Harrier

No comments:

Post a Comment