Sunday 2 October 2016

Now you see me...

A very quiet start at LFGP, but I enjoyed taking shots of Green Woodpecker down in front of the hide



Then completing my walk almost without event, I checked the car park field and went thru the usual "is that a bird, or a weed" conversation with myself. I cranked up the zoom on my scope and could see it was definitely a chat, on the nettle to the left of the vent behind and left of the burner.

The light wasn't bad, flat and grey in fact so I managed to quickly ascertain it was my 2nd ever October Whinchat, fumbling for the iPhone digi adapter, I snapped 4 shots, but on inspection found I had captured nothing.

Panning left I picked up a bird, said "oh it's there on a vent now" and snapped away again, here are the pics, I feel despite the poor, grainy shots, it shows a Wheatear not a Whinchat, but I couldn't find that a minute later either.





Since this post, Marek has found 2 Whinchat but no Wheatear and he also found 2 Red-legged Partridge again, Which if you separate the 2008 individual, which was seen 9th and heard about until the 15th, there has not been multiple dates in a single year since 1985!

A Hobby was also seen today and it is not surprising given how warm it has been until recently, on average we get October records 2 out of 3 years.

The latest dates are 19th 2005, 13th 1984, 10th 1997, 8th 1992 & 2015.

A quick view of September which finished on 102, 2nd place two behind 2012. This did not include my raptor on the 24th and while I wanted a gull on the 30th to be Great Black-backed Gull, I am sure it was a 'fuscus' Lesser, which I cannot remember seeing at DP before anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment