Tuesday 27 December 2016

A last minute bird?

I have been too busy to post, but have been grabbing the odd 30-60 minute visit, Jack Snipe the other day at LFGP to prove to myself one was still around, but now 3 attempts have not got me the Ferruginous. Yesterday I was waiting near the North end of Heron's Water and heard a 'different call'.

My brain said "did that call go up in pitch or down?", and the bird repeated itself ..."down then". So if it wasn't a Coal Tit what was it? Does Coal Tit call ever fall, rather than rise?

I am not ruling out Marsh Tit yet and spent the last hour of good light searching Middle Marsh and Heron's Water. No joy.

WSL and all looked good for Bittern, a bird showed bang in the middle 16:07 but while I was 'WhatsApp'ing it, lost it, only to find a bird well left minutes later. This bird was very alert and kept peering, stretching, etc. It flew back to the right, landing just left of in line with the only pale tree trunk. I think it is likely there is two.

David Rimes seeing Peregrine on 24th puts December =1st best, there's time to add another one, a Skylark, Ruff, Goosander, Woodcock, Smew, Firecrest, Brambling.....

No comments:

Post a Comment