Friday 2 December 2016

Blue to grey

The last two days of bitter frosts and bright blue skies, to grey and cool, but my walk down to Lea Farm G.P. was not dull at all.

Before I even got into Ron's hide, I heard a call that stopped me in my tracks, a sharp and high pitched note, "sweep" note similar to Robin, but I am convinced it wasn't that. I am inclined to believe it was a Hawfinch, but cannot be 100% sure. It sounded like it was moving about quite close, but I never even saw a movement, other than Robins and Blackbirds, so I cannot rule out it being one of them giving an unusual call....but I doubt it.

Here is a link to a Hawfinch call matching what I heard http://www.xeno-canto.org/239374

So into the hide and I picked up a female Pintail lifting off and heading left, but rather than it going away strongly I suspect it stayed local. 2 Little Egrets were pinging about. The 2 Raven went over SE and kept going, albeit with a sluggish flight so again they must be local too.

Nothing more doing, I left the hide and felt that lingering outside the hide might give me a chance at hearing the odd call again. No luck, but I scoped a flock of Goldfinch just beyond the river junction and found a single female Siskin, which are very thin on the ground so far this winter.


As I approached the layby I checked 2 birds in the last Willow at the path junction and 2 male Blackcap met my eyes. I am not sure I've seen 2 Blackcap at DP ever in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment