Wednesday 26 April 2017

2 cold mornings

Good grief it's cold for late April. Yesterday I was out at Ron's hide by 06:15 and the cold made my fingers tingle. 5 Common Tern overhead, a pair of LRP's were looking even more keen and clearly prospecting the SW corner islets, the Lapwing looks as keen as ever, the Oystercatchers too. Later Geoff said 2 Redshank was also looking keen.

I can't even remember a time when we had 4 wader species thinking about breeding, I don't think it's happened before.

Now thinking, prospecting and actually breeding successfully are very different things, with constantly patrolling Jackdaw and Carrion Crow, it is no easy thing settling down. If I have it my way we shall lose a few of each in an attempt to give the waders a fighting chance.

Now add to that a male Shelduck which is also chasing any bird with white on it away, where is the female? Perhaps she's already on eggs on top of the Sand Martin wall?

A male Shoveler is looking fresh and I'm wondering where his lady is too? It's all too much to hope that all of the above and even a pair of Teal might be thinking this place is destined to hear the patter of tiny webbed feet. I'd be excited to have any of them give it a proper try.

Also at LFGP a Common Sandpiper, 10+ Sand Martin in the wall....awesome. At BSL a male Mandarin,

Today I was earlier, there by 06:05, carbon copy of the birds, but even colder. The Redshanks flew in 06:25. And on BSL 21 very cold looking Swallow perched on the wires, the Lesser Whitethroat calling all the time at the bottom of the car park. More and more Reed and Sedge Warblers around Bittern hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment