Thursday 25 January 2018

83 ain't bad

Few visits over the last 2 weeks, but still more or less keeping pace with past years. My last Hawfinch was a male 14th, but I've been back twice for more Woodcock and even my son saw one with me last night.

I've had 3 sightings of Peregrine already, 3 of Raven, so both must be over more or less daily.

Unlike previous years Little Owl is keeping us waiting, but I think it's worth mentioning that Meadow Pipit has only been seen in our patch in January since 2009 and this year in particular has 5-10 remaining on the landfill.

I guess we have had several years recently when Pintail, Golden Plover, Chiffchaff, Jack Snipe, Ruff and even Red Crested Pochard have appeared in January. We must keep our eyes peeled for all these and bonus wildfowl, other grebes are nearby at Henley Road and Sonning, a Merlin could fire thru at any time. Skylark & Blackcap are not at all common in January, but possible.

Today's surprise was the arrival of an Oystercatcher, about 2 weeks before we normally get one, I'll hope to catch that tomorrow, or the weekend if it sticks.

The park's 86 species so far is equal 3rd with 2012 & 2017. 2nd place with 87 belongs to 2011, 1st place with 90 is 2016. Given what I said above it could be matched or even broken if conditions are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment